- Daniel Krook is a New York area Senior Certified IT Specialist (IBM L3 Thought Leader, The Open Group L3 Distinguished). He creates compelling and powerful cloud computing solutions that differentiate IBM and drive its industry leadership. He builds mobile apps, designs APIs, and leads ISV adoption of IBM SmartCloud services.
- Prior to his work in cloud computing, Mr. Krook led global teams to develop desktop and web sales tools for IBM according to his architecture designs and project plans. Before that, he built the News Room and Investor Relations web sites that IBM uses for official communications.
- Daniel has engineered software end-to-end for a wide array of industries over a 13 year career. He is certified in cloud architecture, PHP, Java EE, BlackBerry, DB2, and Solaris. He's written 7 technical articles for IBM developerWorks, contributed to 4 IBM Redbooks projects, and filed 22 patent applications. He's run monthly New York PHP user group meetings since 2004.
- Mr. Krook graduated from Trinity College (Hartford, CT) with a double major in Political Science and International Studies. He studied abroad in Cuba and South Africa, holds dual USA-Finland/EU citizenship, and has collaborated with colleagues in China (on site), India (on site), Latin America, Europe, and the Middle East.
- IBM Senior Certified IT Specialist (L3) / The Open Group Distinguished IT Specialist (L3); November 2012
- IBM Certified Solution Advisor (Cloud Computing Architecture V2) (ICSA); February 2012
- IBM Certified IT Specialist (L2) / The Open Group Master Certified IT Specialist (L2); August 2008 (Recertified September 2011)
- BlackBerry Certified Application Developer (J2ME, RIM APIs) (BCAD); October 2010
- IBM Certified Application Developer (DB2 9) (ICAD); August 2008
- IBM Certified Database Associate (DB2 9) (ICDAssoc.); July 2007
- Sun Certified Web Component Developer (J2EE 1.4) (SCWCD); December 2006
- Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 4) (ZCE); November 2005
- Sun Certified Java Programmer (J2SE 1.4) (SCJP); December 2004
- Sun Certified System Administrator (Solaris 9) (SCSA); March 2004
- Development Technologies
- Server: PHP (ZCE), Java (SCJP), J2EE/JEE (SCWCD), Groovy
- Data: XML, XSL, Schema, SQL, XQuery (ICAD), XPath, JSON
- Mobile: J2ME/JME, BlackBerry (BCAD), Android
- Architecture: UML, Design Patterns, OOAD, EAI, REST
- Development Software
- Content Management & Versioning: Interwoven TeamSite, CVS, Subversion, MS Visual SourceSafe, Rational Team Concert, Git, Ant, Maven
- Database Management: IBM DB2 (ICDAssoc., ICAD), MySQL, Apache Derby, MongoDB
- Web & Application Servers: Apache/IBM HTTP Server, Apache Tomcat, IBM WebSphere AS, IBM WebSphere sMash, Zend Server
- Development Frameworks: Spring Framework, Apache Struts, CakePHP, Zend Framework, Dojo Toolkit, Apache Wink (JAX-RS), Apache CLI
- Mobile Platforms: J2ME/JME, BlackBerry (BCAD), Android
- DevOps: Chef
- Operating Systems
- Desktop: Mac & Windows
- Solaris: 8, 9 (SCSA), 10
- Linux: SLES, RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu
- "Capturing business partner patterns of expertise with Zend Technologies." Author; IBM Thoughts on Cloud blog, October 2012
- "Manage and monitor IBM SmartCloud resources from your mobile device." Author; IBM Thoughts on Cloud blog, August 2012
- "Moving a PHP application to DB2 from MySQL, Part 4: Deploy your application." Author; IBM developerWorks, March 2012
- "Moving a PHP application to DB2 from MySQL, Part 3: Convert your PHP code." Author; IBM developerWorks, September 2011
- "Moving a PHP application to DB2 from MySQL, Part 2: Migrate your data." Author; IBM developerWorks, March 2011
- "Create a PHP development environment on the cloud." Author; IBM developerWorks, March 2011
- "Moving a PHP application to DB2 from MySQL, Part 1: Prepare for your migration." Author; IBM developerWorks, November 2010
- "MySQL to DB2 Conversion Guide." Second edition. Performed technical review. Contributed field notes; IBM Redbooks, October 2009
- "Up and Running with DB2 on Linux." Second edition. Performed technical review. Wrote section on using PHP with DB2; IBM Redbooks, June 2008
- "Developing PHP Applications for IBM Data Servers." Author; IBM Redbooks, May 2006
- "Recommended PHP reading list." Author; IBM developerWorks, March 2006
- "Pair J2EE with PHP to implement a common Web application infrastructure." Author; IBM WebSphere Developer Technical Journal, April 2005
- Krook, D., DeJana, R. G., DeLuca, L., Jang, S.: "Determining Resource Instance Placement in a Networked Computing Environment." US Patent Filed; September 2011
- Krook, D., DeJana, R. G., DeLuca, L., Jang, S.: "Network Computing Management." US Patent Filed; August 2011
- Krook, D., DeJana, R. G., DeLuca, L., Jang, S.: "Autoconfiguration of a Cloud Instance Based on Contextual Parameters." US Patent Filed; June 2011
- IBM Corporation, Armonk, NY; December 2002 to Present
- Software Engineer: Application developer, systems integrator and project lead.
- Implemented features to support the IBM SmartCloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service using Java, DB2, Linux, RESTful Web services and mobile technologies.
- Led initiative, developed applications, and coordinated release activities to control, monitor and manage cloud resources from iOS, BlackBerry and Android smartphones.
- Designed and implemented a lightweight, highly elastic, and durable storage cloud Platform-as-a-Service to provide RESTful object storage based on Apache Tomcat and MongoDB.
- Enabled the Zend Application Fabric platforms (PaaS) on the IBM SmartCloud (IaaS public cloud) and IBM PureSystems (appliance private cloud).
- Extended the sandbox SmartCloud Innovation Center with user experience innovation using the Dojo Toolkit and CSS3.
- Created white papers and demonstration videos to highlight the value of IBM cloud leadership.
- Resolved critical customer situations as a cross-IBM PHP subject matter expert.
- Senior IT Specialist: Application developer and systems integrator.
- Led India, China, and Slovakia based delivery teams of 10 to 25 developers to produce desktop and Web sales tools according to my architecture designs and project plans.
- Identified a gap between modern business need and legacy techical capability and drove a team to rebuild and modernize the project and engagement pipeline management tool.
- Transformed an ad hoc network of independent intranet applications for translation, resource management, engagement management, and workflow into a services oriented architecture using a REST-based services bus.
- Initiated the strategic migration from MySQL to DB2 of a production-grade, mission-critical PHP Intranet application used by 4,000 global users within IBM to support content production for ibm.com.
- Ran a stakeholder requirements workshop, created a work breakdown structure, executed high level design and oversaw Eclipse RCP development.
- Implemented solutions, including IBM Investor Relations, based on industry standards and open source frameworks such as Apache Struts, CakePHP, and the Spring Framework.
- Advisory IT Specialist: Application developer for internal and external ibm.com Web sites.
- Analyzed, designed, developed and supported full life-cycle intranet and Internet applications on WebSphere, DB2, Linux and AIX.
- Implemented content management solutions, including the IBM News Room, based on industry XML standards (RSS, NITF, NewsML), DB2 and the open source Apache Struts MVC Java framework.
- Produced popular, 5-star rated public technical manuals and articles to document PHP and DB2 integration and migration steps.
- Adapted an ISV's PHP application for DB2 to make it compatible with IBM products and sales channels opening the way for greater ISV sales and better IBM solutions.
- Created cutting edge, high-performance ibm.com "One IBM Web Experience" Ajax tools using a services oriented architecture for identity management, form pre-population, and internationalization.
- Application Developer: Client-side coder and server-side scripter for internal and external ibm.com Web sites.
- Built and extended Apache, MySQL and PHP (AMP) Web applications integrated with IBM intranet identity and translation services.
- Created XSL templates to transform TeamSite XML data capture records into XHTML format for publication on ibm.com.
- Contributed code guidance to the the "IBM OneXperience" initiative that set the standard for ibm.com Web sites.
- Web Developer: Client-side coder for external ibm.com Web sites.
- Modified WebSphere Commerce JSP templates and product catalog information.
- Reader's Digest Association, New York, NY; October 2000 to November 2002
- Web Developer: Hybrid client-side coder and server-side scripter for several Reader's Digest Web sites.
- Connected reusable templates to back-end logic and data using JHTML, JSP, ASP, and PHP.
- Consulted on usability trends and accessibility options to match the magazine's target demographic.
- Project highlights: rd.com Relaunch, ChangeOne, RD Finance.
- Opus 360 Corporation - FreeAgent.com, New York, NY; June to October 2000
- Web Developer: Hybrid client-side coder and server-side scripter for FreeAgent.com Web site.
- Served as primary interface developer and production site publisher for the Expert Advice, Free Agent Voices, and Business Services channels.
- Civet Networks Inc., Fairfield, CT; March 2000 to Present
- Internet Consultant: Build dynamic, database-enabled Web sites for small to mid-size organizations.
- Consult on cost-effective solutions to enhance, extend, or maintain clients' online presence.
- Design and develop standards-based, accessible Web sites on both legacy and new platforms.
- Project highlights: IEEE Discover, Atlas Holdings, Congoleum
- The Federation of American Scientists, Washington, DC; June to August 1999
- Webmaster & Research Intern: Tracked, analyzed, and published information on US arms sales abroad.
- Reviewed media and government sources for information on transactions by the United States and US-based defense contractors for the Arms Sales Monitoring Project.
- Created a template-driven, clearly structured reference Web site with increased aesthetic appeal, better navigation, and greater potential for scalability.
- IBM Seventh Patent Plateau Invention Achievement Award; April 2013
- IBM Sixth Patent Plateau Invention Achievement Award; February 2013
- IBM Fifth Patent Plateau Invention Achievement Award; August 2012
- IBM Fourth Patent Plateau Invention Achievement Award; May 2012
- IBM Third Patent Plateau Invention Achievement Award; December 2011
- IBM Second Patent Plateau Invention Achievement Award; November 2011
- IBM First Patent Plateau Invention Achievement Award; September 2011
- IBM First Patent Application Invention Achievement Award; July 2011
- IBM developerWorks Author Achievement Recognition Program: Contributing Author; December 2010
- IBM Ovation Award: Second Place, IBM CIO Technology and Innovation Situational Applications Contest; May 2009
- IBM Bravo Award: 1x2x Dynamic Navigation, ibm.com; June 2007
- IBM Bravo Award: Authoring and Publishing, IBM WebSphere Developer Technical Journal; May 2005
- Chef Fundamentals; April 2013
- IBM Emerging Leaders: Leading Globally; September 2010
- Enterprise Integration with Spring; July 2009
- Project Management Fundamentals; April 2008
- Core Spring Framework Bootcamp; September 2007
- Mastering Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with UML 2.0; December 2006
- Transition to IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere V6; April 2005
- Administration of WebSphere Application Server V5 (Linux); December 2004
- Various classes from Interwoven, ATG, Westlake on TeamSite, Dynamo, JSP, DHTML; 2000-2002
- Columbia University Interactive; 2001-2003
- Online coursework
- Introduction to SQL
- Introduction to Java
- Trinity College: Hartford, CT; 1995-1999
- Bachelor of Arts, double major, December 1999
- International Studies: Comparative Development
- Political Science: International & Comparative Politics
- University of Cape Town: South Africa; July-November 1998
- Universidad de La Habana: Cuba; June 1998
- New York PHP; March 2002 to Present
- Board member and primary logistical support.